March 10, 2020 | melissa c
Looking for trustworthy sources to stay up-to-date about coronavirus (COVID-19)? The links below contain the most current information about the best ways to reduce risk of contracting the virus, myths about the virus, symptoms, testing, economic support, community and crisis resources and more. We update this post frequently, so continue to check back.
General COVID-19 Information from World, Federal and State Agencies
- WHO Coronavirus Q&A - the World Health Organization provides straightforward answers to common questions about coronavirus.
- US Government/CDC new Coronavirus website
- Michigan Coronavirus - the state website contains general information about the virus as well as Michigan-specific information, including the number of confirmed cases.
- Wayne County COVID-19 dashboard
- Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine, and Isolation - this U.S. Department of Health and Human Services fact sheet explains social distancing and suggests ways to cope and support oneself during such an experience.
- CDC Guide on Face Coverings- Use of cloth face coverings to help slow the spread
- MedlinePlus Coronavirus Information - this U.S. National Library of Medicine page includes a wealth of information about the virus and is explained in plain language.
- CDC Coronavirus Information - the Center for Disease control page includes information for individuals as well as communities, schools, businesses, and healthcare professionals.
- NIH Coronavirus and Alternative Treatments - the National Institutes of Health has issued a warning about "alternative" treatments for COVID-19.
- Stay Home, Stay MIndful Mental Health Resource from MDHHS
- State of Michigan Local Health Departments - link to directory
- MI Bridges Self-Service Portal -NEW
- Michigan Long Term Care Facility data -NEW
- Location of COVID-19 testing facilities in Michigan -NEW
- Mental Health Support from Michigan Health & Human Services
- List of resources from the Library of Michigan
- WHO Mythbusters - the World Health Organization provides factual information in response to myths and rumors circulating on social media.
- NewsGuard Coronavirus Misinformation Tracking Center - fact-checking organization NewsGuard provides a list of websites publishing false information about coronavirus, organized by country.
- Consumer Alerts regarding COVID-19 scams
Small Business and Economic Support
- This press release from the State of Michigan has information and links for resources to help overcome anticipated loss of revenue as a result of COVID-19.
- Canton Chamber of Commerce
- SEMCOG - Doing Business During a Pandemic
- Michigan Small Business and Development Center information for COVID-19
- Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency - start here to file an unemployment claim
- Michigan's Workshare Program
- U.S. Small Business Administration COVID-19 Guidance & Loan Resources
- How to Claim Your Stimulus Payment from U of M Poverty Solutions -NEW
- Job Postings across Michigan for job seekers
- Posting a job for employers
- CARES Act analysis by SEMCOG
- How to File for Unemployment
- Find meals for school age children and families
- Find Food for your Family compiled by Great Start Detroit/Wayne County -NEW
- High Velocity Sports and Soccer World sack lunch service
- PCCS Weekly Meal pick up dates and locations
- MCWS Grocery Service for Seniors
- Free or low cost Internet
- Southeastern Michigan United Way Community Resources includes help for displaced workers
- Canton Community Foundation resource list
- Meals on Wheels for seniors ages 60+
- Canton Continues - restaurants and businesses offering services
- Blessing Box Calvary Baptist Church, 43065 Joy Road, Canton, MI 48187 - various supplies for those in need
Where to Donate
- First Step crisis line in Wayne County: 734-722-6800
- SafeHouse Center in Washtenaw County: 734-995-5444
- HAVEN crisis line in Oakland County: 248-334-1274
- Turning Point crisis line in Macomb County: 586-463-6990
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- YWCA Interim House in Detroit: 313-861-5300
- Still Standing Against Domestic Violence in Detroit: Survivors of domestic violence seeking help may call 313-744-5697; individuals seeking battering intervention services may call 313-444-3142