- American Sign Language Dictionary
- Picture Dictionary
- Little Explorers Picture Dictionary
- Morse Code & Phonetic Alphabets
- Rhyming Dictionary
- Webster's Dictionary
- Acronym Finder
Directions: Print out dinosaur finger puppets. Color and cut out each puppet on the dotted lines. Use a pencil to punch a hole through the center of the circles. Place your first two fingers through the holes of a puppet to form the legs. Make the puppet move by moving your fingers. You can tell a story with your puppets.
General American History
- American Memory — from the Library of Congress
- America's Story
- American Family Immigration History Center (Ellis Island)
- Ellis Island — from the History Channel
- From Revolution to Reconstruction
- Historical Maps of the United States
- New Bedford Whaling Museum — online exhibits about the history of whaling
- Recipes from US History
Colonial History (1492-1775)
Books for Parents
Better phonics and beyond in 5 minutes a day: phonics fun for kids and parents on the go by Lisa Deters — Puzzles, games and more
Big book of phonics for whole language by [authors: Ada Frischer, Joyce Adams, Michele Gunther — activities to teach children phonetic readiness skills
5th and 6th gradersGet together with other tweens, eat pizza & talk about a great book. After you're registered, visit the Children's Information Desk to check out a copy of the book.
Book: No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman
Date & Time: Sept. 13 @ 1 - 2pm
Register: beginning August 30
- Facts About Michigan — from EnchantedLearning.com
- Kids' Stuff from the Michigan Historical Museum
- Michigan — from A to Z Kid Stuff
- Michigan Facts — from WorldAtlas.com
Animals and Plants
- Michigan Frogs & Toads — with pictures of each species
- Threatened & Endangered Species of the Great Lake States
History and Landmarks
- Bug ID - Identify unknown insects by answering a series of questions.
- Bug of the Month - Pictures and information about an insect for each month of the year.
- eNature Field Guide: Insects and Spiders - Browse by type of insect, or use the advanced search to look for color, size, region, habitat and more.
- Entomology For Beginners - An introduction to the study of insects.
- Insect Information Sheets - Provides facts about fourteen different kinds of insects.
- ChefMom's Recipes for Kids
- Cookalotamus Kids
- Cook's Thesaurus - everything you need to know about cooking tools and ingredients
- Recipe Roundup at Kidnetic
- International Recipes
- Recipe Source - allows you to search for ethnic recipes by region
- Rice Recipes from Around the World
- Vegetarian Recipes Around the World
- ABC of Arabic Cuisine
- Australian "Bush Tucker"
- Caribbean Foods Glossary
- Dutch (Holland) food and eating habits
- A Guide to Greek Food
- Hungarian Cooking & Recipes
- Indian Recipes
- The Irish Kitchen
- Japanese Cookbook for Kids