Quick Links Parent Newsletter, Spring 2008
Discover a variety of fun and instructional web sites for families ages birth through early elementary
Go GreenEarth Day is April 22nd, and Spring is a great time to think about ways to teach our children about being a friend to the planet.
- Playhouse Disney's Going Green! Using their Higglytown Heroes as mascots, Playhouse Disney has offered tips and activity suggestions for families of preschoolers, as well as an on-line game.
- Ten Ways to Teach Kids about Earth Day This article, from the Kaboose Network of sites, highlights tips such as reducing consumption when possible and introducing your family to Nature. Also includes kid-friendly Earth Day activities.
- Everyday is Earth Day Starfall offers a very short on-line story that includes a recycling sorting activity.
- PlanetPals This overview page for parents and teachers gives tips on how to use the resources on the PlanetPals site with your kids.
- Pollution, Preservation & Ecology: Helping Young Children Learn About Renewable Resources Earlychildhood News offers this article from Professor Susan Bowers, Ph.D. It tells how early childhood experiences can foster a life long interest in ecology.
Mother Goose Day
Mother Goose Day is celebrated on May 1. Reintroduce yourself and your children to the wonderful rhymes and activities associated with Mother Goose.
- The Mother Goose Society Informative site with information about Mother Goose and Mother Goose Day. Also provides recipes and crafts.
- The Mother Goose Pages Includes an online listing of Mother Goose rhymes, artwork, reading tips, and a printable coloring book.
- Kidspace Read some popular Mother Goose stories online, or have them read to you.
- Mother Goose Games Enjoy some free online Mother Goose games with your child.
May 17-23, 2008 is a time to celebrate our beautiful state. There are many wonderful places to explore and enjoy with your children, this week or throughout the year.
- Great Lakes, Great Traditions Some information about Michigan Week and ways to celebrate.
- Things for kids to do in Michigan A website listing some kid friendly places to visit throughout Michigan.
- Detroit Adventure Pass Celebrate Michigan Week with some free fun at local museums! Come to the library for more information and to check out passes.
- Michigan for Preschoolers Some preschool friendly ideas for Michigan kids.
- Blackberry Ramble Thacher Hurd
- The boy who didn't believe in spring Lucille Clifton
- First comes spring Anne Rockwell
- Grandma's garden Elaine Moore
- "Hi, Mister Robin!" Alvin R. Tresselt,
- Hopper hunts for Spring Marcus Pfister
- Hurray for spring Patricia Hubbell
- I love spring! Steven Kroll
- Mud Flat spring James Stevenson
- My spring robin Anne Rockwell
- Splish, splash, spring Jan Carr
I'm a Little Flower Pot Sung to: "I'm a Little Teapot" I'm a little flower pot mom put out (point to self) If you take care of me, I will sprout. (nod head, point to self) When you water me, I will grow (make sprinkling motions w/right hand) Into a pretty flower, don't you know! (raise left hand slowly up from floor, make wide circle with hands or arms)
Counting Daffodils One little daffodil had nothing much to do, Out popped another one, and then there were two. Two little daffodils were smiling at a bee, Out popped another one, and then there were three. Three little daffodils were growing by the door, Out popped another one, and then there were four. Four little daffodils were glad to be alive, Out popped another one, and then there were five. Five little daffodils were wearing golden crowns, They danced in the breeze in green satin gowns.
Spring is All Around Me (Sung to"The Wheels on the Bus) Above my head I see the sun, see the sun, see the sun. Above my head I see the sun. Spring is all around me. Below my feet I see the grass... Above my head I see a bird... Below my feet I see a bug.... Above my head I see a cloud... Below my feet I see a worm....
Five Spring Flowers Five spring flowers, all in a row. The first one said, "We need rain to grow!" The second one said, "Oh my, we need water!" The third one said, "Yes, it is getting hotter!" The fourth one said, "I see clouds in the sky." The fifth one said, "I wonder why?"Then BOOM went the thunder And ZAP went the lightning! That springtime storm was really frightening! But the flowers weren't worried-no, no, no, no! The rain helped them to grow, grow, GROW!