Catalog

Search our Catalog

Meeting Minutes -- April 16, 2009

April 16, 2009
7:30 p.m.

The Chaiman, James Gillig, called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, M. Siegrist, G. Snow, D. Turner, C. Van Auken
Absent:
Also Present: E. Davis, S. Rzetelny, Mike Swartz, Wendy Trumbull, Alisha Davis - Plante & Moran

Call to Audience

No comments (L. Papa, R. Havenstein-Coughlin, C. McLaughlin, G. Bell)

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was approved as presented

Approval of Minutes

Minutes of the March 19th meeting were approved as written

2007 Audit Presentation – Mike Swartz, Wendy Trumbull, Alisha Davis - Plante & Moran

The library received an unqualified opinion and is in sound financial position. Alisha Davis reviewed the 2008 general fund revenue, expenditures and fund balance noting that all were appropriate for the size and budget of the library. Wendy Trumbull presented the Report to the Canton Public Library Board noting no significant deficiencies. She commended Sheryl Rzetelny for developing a sound process of identifying and tracking fixed assets. Plante & Moran suggested a review of the front desk fines waiver procedure.

Plante & Moran commended the library for pro-actively funding the unfunded actuarial liability during the previous fiscal year however, due to market conditions the actuarial value of the assets will likely be less as of 12/31/08 and may result in the need for future pension contributions.
Plante & Moran also recommended creating multi-year budget forecasts.

J. Fausone moved and M. Siegrist supported a motion to accept the audit report as presented.

The motion passed unanimously 4/09-16-1

Communications

None

Report of the Library Director

  • This week is National Library Week and the Friends of the Canton Public Library have been providing various treats for our grateful staff.
  • Next week is Earth Week and the library has various events planned.
  • The Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon is Wednesday, April 29th. Board members are encouraged to attend.

Old Business

Jungle Java Express – JJX provided Eva with several conditions for upcoming lease renewal, including: waiver of rent and royalty/commission for the duration of the renewal, library provision of approximately 64 cubic feet of additional dry storage, library purchase of an additional small freezer, extension of the sales counter, library staff sweeping and mopping of the floor behind the counter. Eva provided cost estimates for each of the conditions. Trustee VanAuken thought the cost too high during these difficult economic times.

Chair Gillig asked Eva to check into other operators and vending services as food service options at the library. Eva has already met with Canton-based Sterling Vending who provided information on their Fast Trak RFID unmanned vending service which provides fresh salads and sandwiches, chips, hot/cold beverages and more. They also offer traditional vending service but felt our building would be ideal for the Fast Trak model. Several other libraries currently use Sterling Vending and are pleased with their service. Trustee Snow expressed concern over mischief in an unmanned food service area. The security monitors would be required to continue monitoring the café area. Eva will meet with the Summit food service provider, Continental, next week.

Eva’s current recommendation is to offer the existing café lease with the only change being to eliminate the rent and commission for the one year term of the lease. The board authorized Eva to present that offer to Jungle Java Express.

J. Fausone moved and D. Turner supported a motion to forgive the rent and royalty to Jungle Java Express and extend the current lease for one year.

Aye: J. Gillig, J. Fausone, D. Turner, C. VanAuken, M. Siegrist
Nay: G. Snow

The motion passed 4/09-16-2

New Business

3M/Checkpoint proprietary RFID System – Since the merger of Checkpoint with 3M the library has been notified that 3M plans to phase out the proprietary RFID tags currently used. 3M will support the equipment for the time being, however, no new parts are being produced and repairs to our equipment consist of parts scavenged from other machines. Leo Papa and Claire McLaughlin will investigate new ISO-standard open-source tags. Leo Papa advised that The Library Network network administrator sent out a very thorough RFID system request for proposal which is due April 30th. It’s possible the libraries within the network can obtain a quantity discount. Leo will continue to monitor results of the RFP.

Eva offered a budget estimate of approximately $500,000 to replace our RFID system and retag all of our materials. She did find a vendor who can do the retagging which was promising as our staff, at its current level, will not be able to perform this function.

Other

Call to Audience

No Comments

Adjourn

Meeting was adjourned at 8:37 p.m.
James Fausone – Secretary/Treasurer