In 1990 President George H. W. Bush approved a joint resolution designating November 1990 National American Indian Heritage Month. Similar proclamations have been issued each year since 1994. The National Register of Historic Places has put together a list of sites promoting the history and culture of Native Americans. The following Special Collection is designed to highlight some of the library's many resources about Native Americans.
Historical Dictionary of North American Archaeology edited by Edward B. Jelks: This comprehensive guide to mainly prehistoric sites, cultures and artifacts in the United States and Canada features some 1800 signed entries by 151 expert contributors.
American Indians edited by Harvey Markowitz: This three-volume set, arranged alphabetically in an encyclopedia style, highlights hundreds of important characters, events, places and concepts in Native American culture. Also included are a timeline, addresses of educational institutions, agencies, museums as well as statistical information.
National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from mid-September through mid-October each year. The resources in this Special Collection provide an introduction to the culture, identity and direction of the diverse population that is Hispanic.
Arte Latino: Treasures From the Smithsonian American Art Museum by Jonathan Yorba: This book documents 50 Latino artists from the U.S. and Puerto Rico as they explore their identity and influence on U.S. culture over the past two centuries through various media.
- Always looking up: the adventures of an incurable optimist by Michael J. Fox
- Cloris: my autobiography by Cloris Leachman
- Fred Astaire by Joseph Epstein
- I loved, I lost, I made spaghetti by Giulia Melucci
- It was all right: Mitch Ryder's life in music by James A.
- The Arabs: a short history by Heinz Halm
- Dreams and shadows: the future of the Middle East by Robin Wright
- The great Arab conquests: how the spread of Islam changed the world we live in by Hugh Kennedy
- A history of Islamic societies by Ira M. Lapidus
- A history of the Arab peoples by Albert Hourani
- Kingmakers: the invention of the modern Middle East by Karl E.