September 21, 2006 | cpl_admin
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Fausone, at 7:50 p.m.
Present: R. Eva, J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young, N. Williams
Also Present: J. Tabor, S. Rzetelny, J. Rankin - Plante & Moran
CALL TO AUDIENCE
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved with additions.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of the August 10th meeting were approved as submitted.
RETIREE HEALTH PLAN AMMENDMENTS - J. Rankin
- Discussion of retiree health plan clarifications to include partial credit for part-time hours worked by current full time employees toward the 20-year requirement.
R. Eva moved, second by J. Gillig to allow designated part time hours to be credited toward full time credit for five (5) present employees. Only full time hours will be used for credit from this time forward.
The motion passed (4-2)
- Michigan Supreme Court has agreed to hear arguments in the Bloomfield Township case regarding borrowing privilege restrictions and reasonable non-resident fees
- The legislative update from Karoub Associates is available.
- The Friends of the Canton Public Library have donated $5,000 toward the new Silver Anniversary plaque and an additional $5,000 to the Endowment.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- The insurance checks have been received for losses due to the two power failures. The total amount, less deductible is $55,589.73
- The staff has reported the quality of food in the café has deteriorated, the selection has diminished, and a patron reported being charged more than the advertised cost of an item. Discussion was held regarding café future.
- Trustee Day for the Michigan Library Association is October 11 at the Renaissance Center in Detroit.
- Van Buren/Belleville Motion
J. Gillig moved and N. Williams seconded the motion to approve borrowing restrictions of two items per card to Van Buren/Belleville patrons beginning January 1, 2007.
The motion passed unanimously 9/06-21-2
- HVAC Contract - J. Fausone moved and C. Young seconded the motion to execute the HVAC Maintenance contract with Trane.
The motion passed unanimously 9/06-21-3
- Phone Contract - J. Gillig moved and R. Eva seconded the motion to ratify the A T & T phone contract presented.
The motion passed unanimously 9/06-21-4
J. Fausone requested a recommendation from Jean for the next board meeting to determine future contract approval requirements.
- Internet Filtering - Discussion was held of area libraries filtering policies and locations of filtered and unfiltered computer stations at CPL. Jean will investigate reducing the age of entry into the filtered internet lab to 17 to align it with the movie theaters, Otherwise the policy remains the same.
- Building Renovations - Jean presented drawings from Rewold & Son for the modifications to the Children's Department blue room. It would be advantageous to have the modification start now so the new carpeting can be installed without further adjustments. No drawings or cost estimates were provided for proposed alterations to the sorting area.
R. Eva moved and N. Williams seconded the motion to approve the renovations for the Youth Department blue room. The cost for construction and furniture shall not exceed $50,000.
The motion passed unanimously 9/06-21-5
- Christmas Party - The annual Holiday Celebration will be held at the Young/Snow residence on Saturday, December 2, 2006.
- Downtown Development Authority Tax - Discussion was held on the renewal in 2017 of the DDA tax. J. Gillig stated that the board should keep this issue in the forefront and stay informed about any expansion of the DDA area. Requesting DDA meeting minutes would be a good idea.
- Trustee Resignation - Due to his acceptance of the Finance Director's position with Canton Township, Rick Eva announced his resignation. The search for a replacement will begin immediately. All respondents' resumes will be reviewed at the next board meeting.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
The meeting was adjourned by the Board Chairmanat 9:30 p.m.
Rick Eva - Board Secretary