October 19, 2006 | cpl_admin
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Fausone, at 7:30 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young
Absent: N. Williams
Also Present: J. Tabor, S. Rzetelny
CALL TO AUDIENCE
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved with additions.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of the September 21st meeting were approved as submitted.
Minutes from the September 21st Budget Meeting will be in the next board meeting packets.
- Defibrillator Training - The Red Cross will hold two staff training sessions on October 26th emphasizing the new CPR procedures.
- T.A.L.C. (Teacher and Librarian Connection E-Newsletter)
- Donor Postcard Mailing for Endowment Contributions
- The newly designed Canton Public Library website appears on Thompson-Gale print advertising. The response to the redesigned website has been positive. All subject pages are up and running and when Jean attends the Innovative Director's Symposium she hopes to get more feedback. J. Fausone asked for statistics relating to site hits before and after the redesign.
- Planning is underway to introduce a public CPL blog after January 1, 2007.
- The board praised the Baby Basics brochure created by the Children's Department.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Response to the upcoming restrictions for Belleville/Sumpter/Van Buren patrons has been limited to disappointment that those communities don't have the same quality of service as Canton. The real test will come after the restrictions are enacted January 1, 2007.
- The new carpeting is in transport. Installation dates and plans are forthcoming.
- Discussion was held regarding café future. Two local merchants are interested in running the café and discussion will continue.
- Approval of Contract Policy
J. Gillig moved and C. Young seconded the motion to accept the Contract Policy revision as written.
The motion passed unanimously 10/06-19-1
- Building Renovations
J. Gillig moved and C. Young seconded the motion to authorize up to $50,000 for sorting area renovations.
The motion passed unanimously 10/06-19-2
- Review of Trustee Applications - Four trustee applications were submitted. Interviews will be scheduled on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 in the Community Room beginning at 7:00 p.m. Trustee questions for the applicants must be submitted ahead of time and will be compiled before the interview process.
- 3rd Quarter Budget Amendments -
C. Young moved and J. Gillig seconded the motion to approve of the 3rd Quarter Budget Amendments as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 10/06-19-3
- Treasurer Appointment -
C. Young moved and J. Fausone seconded the motion to appoint J. Gillig board treasurer replacing R. Eva.
The motion passed unanimously 10/06-19-4
- Trustee Conduct -All board members agreed that they should not be discussing library policies and operational issues with staff and that these issues are better discussed at board meetings.
J. Gillig moved and J. Fausone seconded the motion to adopt a board policy restricting trustee discussions regarding operational and policy issues with library staff.
Yes: J. Fausone, J. Gillig
No: G. Snow
Abstain: C. Young
The motion passed.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
The meeting was adjourned by the Board Chairmanat 8:22 p.m.
Rick Eva - Board Secretary