October 16, 2008 | cpl_admin
October 16, 2008
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Gillig, at 7:30 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, N. Williams, G. Snow, C. Young, C. Van Auken
Also Present: E. Davis, S. Rzetelny
CALL TO AUDIENCE
No comments. (R. Havenstein-Coughlin, L. Papa)
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved with additions.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes of the September 18th Budget meeting were approved unanimously as written.
Minutes of the September 18th General meeting were approved unanimously as written.
Thank you to the Board from C. McLaughlin acknowledging funeral arrangement from the board in memory of her brother.
- Canton Business and Professional Women's thank you to Laura Fawcett and Nancy Szczepanski for arranging and planning activities for the BPW's October meeting held in the library community room.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
The League of Women Voters of NW Wayne County has distributed flyers for the Library Candidates Forum scheduled on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 7:00 pm in the library community room. They also supplied non-partisan Voter's Guides.
- The Friends of Canton Public Library sponsored team of Jillean McCommons, Brad Czerniak and Anne Heidemann finished 3rd in the Community Literacy Council's 2008 Spelling Bee held at Yazaki yesterday. First place was awarded to Plymouth District Library's team. Eva has accepted an ongoing judicial position for this annual event. Congratulations to our team!
- A rebate of $2,300 was confirmed by the Trane representative for the purchase of the new HVAC unit and should be received shortly.
- The accountant position has been posted to professional group website job boards with the plan to have the new accountant on board early in the next fiscal year.
- J. Laffey and S. Rzetelny were called as witnesses in a trial concerning the crime against a Jungle Java employee in the cafe which occurred in 2007. The defendant was ultimately found guilty.
- Trustee Young asked previously if there was a mechanism to track the number of patrons logging in to our wireless network. After examination, Leo Papa and Carl Swanberg have designed a way to track the wireless usage which will be reported monthly in the Electronic Usage Report as "wireless daily users".
- Trustees were invited to attend the longevity awards portion of the staff in-service to be held November 14th at the Village Theater.
Board Holiday Party - Discussion was held regarding the food and beverage to be offered at the annual holiday party to be held Saturday, December 6th at The Traditions at Cambridge 7:00 pm. Current board trustees have agreed to cover the cost of the event.
Third Quarter Budget Amendment - The 3rd Quarter budget amendment was presented for review. The majority of changes reflect transfers within categories. The reserve remains unchanged.
J. Fausone moved and C. Young supported a motion to approve the 3rd Quarter Budget Amendments as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 9/08-18-1
- Endowment - Chairman Gillig requested financial support of the endowment by board members.
- Director's Evaluation - Discussion was held regarding the timing and method of the director's evaluation considering the two known vacancies and other possible changes in the board with November's election. Trustee Fausone suggested a more process driven system than what has been common in the past. Developing a director's salary review formula is one of the Board's 2009 goals. A special board meeting (with the potential of closed session) has been scheduled for 7:00 pm, Tuesday, October 28th for the Director's evaluation.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
Meeting was adjourned at 8:10 p.m.
Dr. James Gillig – Chairman