November 30, 2006 | cpl_admin
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Fausone, at 7:30 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young, N. Williams
Also Present: J. Tabor, S. Rzetelny
CALL TO AUDIENCE
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved as presented.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of the October 19th meeting were approved with corrections.
The minutes of the September 21st Budget Meeting were approved as written.
The minutes of the November 8th Trustee Interview meeting were approved as written.
- Article in The Journal Newspaper specifying borrowing privilege restrictions for Belleville/Sumpter/Van Buren patrons.
- Thank you note from Paul Varney - Trustee applicant.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Tween/Sorting area construction is moving along rapidly. The staff has pitched in with the constant moving of books, especially N. Szczepanski and the pages.
- Moving the CD bins has caused some damage, which will require repairs.
- K. Scanlon the present teen librarian is leaving due to relocation. The new teen & tween librarian will now be relocated to the children's department under the supervision of Anne Heidemann.
- Jean discovered the carpet installers caused the chair damage, not vandals as originally thought. The chairs fell from on top the tables where they were placed during recarpeting. Security monitors have been doubled up when possible to monitor the east and teen areas which have been the source of patron complaints about the noise.
- The age of entry to the I-Lab has been raised back to 18. Staff concern and discussion with the MLA attorney determined that we should follow the state law, which is 18. The federal law (Children's Internet Protection Act) uses 17; however our attorney informed Jean, when two laws conflict, we should use the most restrictive.
- The new endowment postcards were mailed and some donations have been received. The endowment fund total is currently $158,914. Jean was assured the 25th Anniversary endowment plaque will be installed by the end of the year.
- I-Branch usage has increased from 16,800 to 19,800 per week.
- Tom Yack has suggested a partnership between the DDA and the Library for a satellite library focusing on business users. The contribution from the DDA is yet to be determined but will likely determine plan feasibility. A preliminary budget has been prepared and will be discussed in the near future.
- Trustee Selection - All candidates were strong contenders and will be encouraged to run for a seat in 2008. Candidate discussion was held.
Colleen Van Auken was selected as the new Board Trustee and will be sworn in at the December meeting.
- December meeting will be held on the 21st as originally scheduled. The meeting for December 2007 will be moved.
J. Gillig moved and N. Williams seconded the motion to approve the 2007 Calendar with the December Board Meeting change to December 13th.
The motion passed unanimously 11/06-30-1
- Board Officers - G. Snow moved and C. Young seconded to retain the same officer slate for 2007.
Discussion will be held at the December 21st meeting.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
The meeting was adjourned by the Board Chairmanat 8:12 p.m.
Rick Eva - Board Secretary