May 18, 2006 | cpl_admin
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Fausone, at 7:30 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young, N. Williams
Absent: R. Eva
Also Present: L. Papa, J. Tabor, S. Rzetelny
CALL TO AUDIENCE
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved as presented.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes of the April 20th meeting were approved as submitted.
Redesigned Website Presentation - Leo Papa
Leo Papa presented the redesigned CPL website. Most of the work was done in-house with the librarian's involvement. A consultant was brought in to hone some of the technical details. The librarians can now maintain and develop their own site pages and are very eager to participate. Scoping has been introduced to allow narrowed searches within the catalog.
- Chamber Directory, "Open for Business" ad created by Laurie Golden.
- Jean presented the newest technology - Playaway, self-contained digital audio books. There are only two other libraries circulating this new format. We will need to have some sort of locking cases before we can introduce them to the public.
- Teen Summer Reading Brochure
- Adult Summer Reading program information and registration will occur at the Liberty Fest in June with another library card push. Jean encouraged Board Members to attend.
- The township has offered the library the opportunity to rent a float for the Liberty Fest parade. The option is the bookworm, which we could customize with the library logo.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Since it is unlikely a special library election will occur this November, restrictions for Van Buren residents seem likely. Jean spoke to Phil LaJoy to encourage the district library. The situation will be reviewed at the August board meeting.
- Yazaki has agreed to contribute $10,000 to the Factiva Research System. We will evaluate this database to see if it's feasible to continue with it next year since the library will have to pay an additional $9,000.
Jean and Molly Osler have been working with Shaw to obtain some appropriate carpet samples. As the selection is refined, the CAD drawings will be replaced with actual woven samples, which will then be brought to the board for review. We are targeting August for installation. The installation quotation has not been received.
Silver Anniversary Plaque
Jean presented the mock-up for the Silver Anniversary plaque. The design allows the flexibility to add names as needed. J. Fausone asked whether the additions could be made in house or if they had to be done by the plaque designer. Jean will follow up.
Discussion was held about the 10 year cost projections based on a yearly 5% increase. As the library building ages it may be necessary to increase the 5% for building improvements. Projections will be ongoing.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Rick Eva - Board Secretary