January 19, 2006 | cpl_admin
Canton Public Library Board
January 19, 2006
The meeting was
called to order by the Chairman, James Fausone, at 7:20 p.m.
R. Eva, J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow,
J. Tabor, S. Rzetelny
Call to Audience
Approval of Agenda
The agenda was
approved with one addition
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of
the December 15, 2005 meeting were approved as submitted.
- Café Sales Report
- Children's Department "Baby Basics: Resources for New Parents" publication and bookmarks as examples
of early learning initiative.
- "Everyone's Reading" 2006 literature. Many libraries are participating in this program and Robert Kurson;
author of Shadow Divers will be coming to the Canton Public Library in 2006.
- International Language Statistics comparison
Report of the Library Director
- The Children's Department Head Judy Teachworth has announced her retirement
effective April 28, 2006. Advertising for replacement will take place in early February.
- The new chairs, study carrels and computer stations have arrived from Agati.
- The international language collection will be relocating to the area behind the reference desk.
Additional shelving has been ordered for this expanding collection. This collection will be promoted
in our first or second "word of mouth" marketing campaign, along with an increased online presence.
- Parking is an issue as indicated by a patron response card.
- The endowment fund is now up to $120,544.16 not including pledges. Four staff members
contributed $1000. Grafaktri has reviewed our requirements for the new plaque and will present a quotation.
The Friends of CPL wish to make an additional pledge to enable their name to be placed on the new plaque!
- Due to a recent incident, the technology office will now be locked when no tech staff are present
and an additional security camera will be added to cover the office.
- Staff will be required to wear new name badges. Materials to produce badges in house have been
ordered and the new badges will be issued soon.
- CPL was one of the few libraries open on the Martin Luther King holiday. As a result space was at a
premium especially since it was the local school's exam week. It was decided to reserve the community
room for the holiday next year and all future exam weeks for study purposes.
The deposit has been delivered
and a contract signed with Plymouth Nursery. Installation will begin in early spring with additional scheduling
of the electrician and sprinkler system contractors.
Discussion was held regarding the café contract. Since the management change the service has remained constant.
R. Eva moved and C. Young seconded to give the Board Chairman and Library Director authority to make necessary changes to the café contract.
The motion passed 1/06-19-1.
Discussion continued about
the need to open a brokerage account. Opening an account with Scottrade
requires a board resolution. Further review is needed prior to a resolution.
16 additional Talbot-style chairs are needed to fully complete the replacement of all the study chairs.
R. Eva moved and C. Young seconded to approve the purchase of additional chairs.
The motion passed 1/06-19-2
Call to Audience
The meeting was
adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Rick Eva - Board Secretary