Meeting Minutes - March 18, 2010

The Chairperson, Colleen Van Auken, called the meeting to order at 7:33PM
Present: K. Schulz, M. Siegrist, C. Van Auken, J. Fausone
Absent: G. Snow, D. Turner
Also Present: E. Davis, K. Gladden

Call to Audience

No comments (R. Havenstein-Coughlin, A. Heidemann, L. Papa, S. Rzetelny)

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was approved as presented

Approval of Minutes

Minutes of the February 25th Meeting were approved as presented


Eva Davis had no communications to share. However, Chair Van Auken said she had received email from Cecil Young, indicating that Trustee George Snow would not be present at the meeting.

Report of the Library Director

E. Davis said she had attended a Wayne County Road meeting at Township Hall and obtained the timeline for the Canton Center Road construction project:

  • Stage 1 will start around April 15 and last through the first week of May, and will include utilities relocation and storm sewer work
  • Stage 2 will run from about the second week of May through mid-July. The west side of Canton Center (our side) will be under construction. Two-way traffic will be maintained on the east side of Canton Center (temporary paving will be put in along the shoulder to handle northbound traffic) and left turns will be allowed, which may create backups. Summit Parkway will be affected — either it will be closed entirely (no access to Summit Parkway from Canton Center), or only inbound traffic to the Summit and golf course will be allowed. This is when the work will take place on Civic Center Blvd. The westbound side (closest to Township Hall) will be closed and reconstructed. Two-way traffic will be routed to the eastbound side (our side). There will be some minor work done at the Heritage Park Dr intersection during this period, also
  • Stage 3 will run from mid-July through September, roughly. Traffic will shift to the west side of Canton Center, with work taking place on the east side. Palmer will be closed at Canton Center during this period. Cherry Hill will be the posted alternate route
  • Stage 4 will take place in October and November, and will include finish work on the center lane, lane markings, signals, and clean-up

The library will keep the public updated on construction status via the website. The project is being financed through federal stimulus funds, which is why it must be completed this year.

Board members are invited to attend either the April 21st Volunteer Luncheon, or the April 23rd Teen Volunteer Pizza Party; RSVP to Kathie Gladden.

In the wake of the diaper drive success, Laurie Golden has arranged with Deborah Drummond of the Michigan Military Moms for the library to be a collection point for donated pencils and bug repellant wipes for our servicemen overseas. The drive will be held May 26, and will work the same as did the diaper drive.

Old Business

Contract for RFID Sorting System – E. Davis confirmed that Copy Center services can be re-deployed to other areas of the library. The revised Phase III will bring the total cost of the new system to approximately $3,000 over the original estimate. Leo Papa said that all estimates have been received except for Sonitrol, but in general he thinks the project will meet or come in slightly lower than the projected cost.

The revised Phase III calls for relocating all check-in and sorting to the new room (the current Copy Center). The room will have a large window so patrons may watch items being checked in and sorted, both by the new system and manually by the pages. This will give the public a better idea of the challenges faced by discharge/shelving staff on a day-to-day basis. The current book drop room will be kept as a manual back-up.

Estimated time for the project is 10-12 weeks; L. Papa will try to get started within the next two weeks so it can be completed before Summer Reading starts.

A temporary Page position will be posted for the period while the construction is taking place to assist in keeping up with returns until the new sorter is installed.

J. Fausone moved and K. Schulz supported a motion to adopt the revised Phase III sorting system, at a cost not to exceed $201,669.26.

The motion passed unanimously 10/03-18-1.

New Business

Team Canton – Chair Van Auken sat next to Lisa Grasso of the Ford Road Kohl’s store at the last Team Canton meeting, and learned about a volunteer initiative (Kohl’s Cares) which she felt the library should pursue. E. Davis said that the Novi Best Buy store had reached out with a similar initiative. Volunteer Coordinator Kathie Gladden will follow up with both stores. E. Davis shared a Canton resource book she had obtained at the last meeting; in turn, she told the Team Canton people about CantonWiki.

Endowment Fund – E. Davis will report back in April about an upcoming meeting she, Sheryl Rzetelny and Gail Bell have scheduled with representatives from Chase Bank. Chase plans to begin charging for every deposit made to the Endowment Fund account.

Liberty Fest Parking Request from Canton Township – Canton Township, in an attempt to relieve Canton Center Road congestion during construction, proposes to charge Liberty Fest attendees a premium parking fee to use the municipal building lot and grounds and would like to do so with ours as well. E. Davis asked for the township to clean the library grounds after the festival in lieu of sharing any revenue derived from the parking fees. (The library has 245 regular and seven handicap parking spaces.)

J. Fausone moved and K. Schulz supported a motion to trade use of library grounds during Liberty Fest, in exchange for Township clean up services.

The motion passed unanimously 10/03-18-2.

Call to Audience

L. Papa advised the Board that Facilities Manager Jim Laffey has been extremely helpful throughout the RFID project.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM
Colleen VanAuken – Board Chairperson

Add new comment