- Kits may be checked out for eight weeks, but can't be renewed
- Poetry may be written and submitted by students entering 5th–12th grade
- Poem must be your original work
- Poem must be in the form of a Haiku or Cinquain
- Keep it clean — poems containing vulgar, profane, obscene, racist or otherwise offensive connotations will be rejected
- All poems submitted on paper must be typed in at least 12 point font on white paper
- Do not put your name on the same paper as your poem.
You may have noticed that there's been lots of talk in the library lately about CPL's 30th anniversary. There are only a very few people who've been a part of Canton Public Library as long as I have, so I thought I'd chime in with my own experiences here at CPL. You can find my story on the library's Flickr account. Yup! I'm a pretty tech savvy bear. In some of the pictures I look kind of funny because they were taken a long time ago. You'd better not laugh!
Eco books : inventive projects from the recycling bin by Terry Taylor
Handmade books sound neat, but how easy is it to actually make one? Turns out, pretty easy! You can take materials you have around the house and make them into books in a variety of styles. This book shows how to make forty different types of books ranging from easy (complete in an afternoon or less) to more advanced styles that might take a little longer. You can also reuse a ton of different materials for the covers, including egg cartons, cardboard, fabric, an old mouse pad, cereal boxes, and lots of others.
Marley and me : life and love with the world's worst dog by John Grogan
Dewey : the small-town library cat who touched the world by Vicki Myron ; with Bret Witter
The first poster with a correct answer that includes a link to the CPL database where you found it wins a prize!
We've shown CPL's history with Summer Reading… but what about recent history? Our 2010 program was huge and successful, despite road construction and further budget constraints. The above video shows just some of the activities and programs hosted at the library. We were busy this Summer!
- Grizzly Tales: These are compilations of many short stories cartoons with a slightly creepy bent
- Ruby Gloom: This new series stars a cheerful girl and her rather gloomy friends
- Cartoon Network Halloween specials: With so many cartoons to choose from, there's definitely going to be something that appeals to everyone
- Halloweentown: The premise of this Disney Channel series of movies is that Halloween creatures exist in a alternative universe. The fourth installment stars Lucas Grabeel, in his pre-High School Musical Days.
- Michigan Youth Theater
- Holocaust Memorial Center
- The Art Experience
- Detroit Children's Museum
- Huron Lightship
- Carnegie Center, Port Huron Main Museum
- Thomas Edison Depot Museum
- US Coast Guard Cutter Bramble
- Monroe County Historical Museum
- Cranbrook House and Gardens
- Ford Rouge Factory Tour
- Henry Ford Estate, Fairlane
- Paint Creek Center for the Arts
Well, LB is at it again. This past weekend he went to a wedding with Miss Ruth in New York. On the way home they stopped at Niagara Falls. This means that LB has been to Niagara TWICE and New York TWICE this year! Wow! What a lucky bear! But since there are always new things to try, he had some new adventures. Miss Ruth introduced LB to Yogen Fruz, which is really yummy frozen yogurt. It's hard to explain really, so he took lots of pictures. Basically you get to pick the flavors of your frozen yogurt from the fresh fruit provided, and then they blend it all up! The result is cold, fruity, pink wonderfulness! Sadly, there isn't any Yogen Fruz in Michigan, so I doubt I will get any soon. But it is located in other cool places! Maybe someone will take LB to California or Iowa or Minnesota or Hawaii or Bulgaria so he can get some more. Wow! Yogen Fruz is in a lot of places!
I can't wait to see where LB ends up next! Until then...
If you're looking to pass the time, Pikikids.com lets you create an instant comic strip! It's got lots of little extras to add to the scene, like viking hats and fake noses. Some quick fun for the comic lover! Check it out.