If you are already tired of Christmas music, try some Blues.
We recently received a new Big Bill Morganfield cd. It has as very traditional blues sound. It includes several slow blues tracks, which were just the thing to slow down the Christmas rush.
Visit CPL's home page to learn Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Japanese, German, Greek, Chinese (Mandarin), ESL Spanish, and more. First time users will be asked to create a username and password for the system to keep track of the progress. Remote access is for Canton Library cardholders only.
This book of patterns by the founder of Lorna's Laces (drool-worthy fibers available locally at the Old Village Yarn Shoppe) includes patterns for socks, mittens, sweaters, stuffies, and even how to make your own decorative knitting needles. Interspersed with the patterns are brief stories explaining how Miser came up with the pattern and how it connects to her life.
- The challenge for Africa by Wangari Maathai
- A beautiful place to die by Malla Nunn
- Ivory's ghosts: the white gold of history and the fate of elephants by John F. Walker
- Playing the enemy: Nelson Mandela and the game that made a nation by John Carlin
- Cry, the beloved country by Alan Paton
- A change of altitude by Anita Shreve
- Tea time for the traditionally built by Alexander McCall Smith
- The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips
- The laughter of dead kings by Elizabeth Peters
- Heart of darkness by Joseph Conrad
It's the week of Thanksgiving! I know most of you are headed out to see family and friends. I have plans for Thanksgiving too! Me and my animal library friends — the giraffes, the Monkeys, the armadillo, and all the others — are going to have a great big Thanksgiving here at the library. We're going to raid the staff fridge, and then we'll play some video games and watch a movie on the big screen in the Community room. Of course, this is a secret from all the librarians, so don't tell anyone! I told you because I like you!
That reminds me. At Thanksgiving you're supposed to think about what you are thankful for. I'm thankful for all of you! You always make my day when you come into the library and say "Hi!" And I'm thankful for the library for giving me this great job and feeding me with cookies. What are you thankful for? Let me know — respond to the blog!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving whatever your plans are!