June 25, 2013 | Brad B.
June 25, 2013 | gladdenk
June 24, 2013 | SuzyQ
This year's hurricane season began on June 1 and continues through November 30. The National Hurricane Center's list of names for 2013 includes this year's first named storm, Andrea, as well as Chantal, Humberto, Karen, Rebekah, and Wendy. Read about some of the storms of the past and how they have affected the people in their paths.
Florida's hurricane history by Jay Barnes ; foreword by Steve Lyons
June 21, 2013 | Magda
LB's cousin, Clarke, came to visit and LB took him on a tour all over Canton. They forgot to label their pictures, so put your sleuth skills to the test and help the bears remember where in Canton they visited.
Read the clue, look at the picture and send your guess to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Where in Canton #1", then claim your Sleuth it! badge. All correct entries will be entered in a drawing for a prize at the end of the contest. Please one entry per picture.
Clue #1 - Didn't go far to have a lesson about Canton's past.
June 20, 2013 | obrienbc
Eight men out: the Black Sox and the 1919 World Series by Eliot Asinof
Shoeless Joe [sound recording] by W.P. Kinsella
Friday night lights: a town, a team, and a dream by H.G. Bissinger
Hoop dreams: a true story of hardship & triumph by Ben Joravsky; introduction by Charles Barkley
June 20, 2013 | Blogbrarian
Can you tell us who made these tracks? Follow these instructions:
- Obtain an activity log from one of the Help Desks.
- Locate the animal tracks and photos on the window of the Purple room in the Children’s department or along the bottom part of the New Book shelf in the Adult department.
- Look at an animal track and read the attached hint. Do you know which animal made the track or can you recognize the animal from the added description?
- Now look at all the animal photos displayed. Do you see the animal you think was described and could have made the track? If so...
- Find the letter next to the track. Write that letter next to the correct animal on the activity log.
- Put your completed activity log in the box on the reception desk for a drawing. Don’t forget to claim your ANIMAL LOVER badge online, too!
June 19, 2013 | gladdenk
Check out one of these food-related films and earn a Chow Down badge:
1. Big night [videodisc] by Rysher Entertainment presents a Timpano production:
Determined to drum up business and foil his Little Italy rival, Secondo concocts a rumor that bandleader Louis Prima will dine at his restaurant that very night, sending chef Primo into a frenzy. Will it be the finest night of his career, or will it be a financial disaster? Will Louis Prima actually come to dine? With wonderful performances by Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub, it's worth viewing this film just to see the dinner's masterpiece timpano.
June 18, 2013 | hathawaym
Do you love comics? Saturday, June 22nd and Sunday, June 23rd the Ann Arbor District Library invites you to a totally free event: Kids Read Comics! Learn, draw, meet cartoonists! Can't make it to KRC? Check out these great graphic works by some of KRC's featured artists:
Zita the spacegirl. book one, Far from home by Ben Hatke
Hercules: the twelve labors by story by Paul Storrie ; pencils by Steve Kurth ; inks by Barbara Schulz
Drama by Raina Telgemeier ; with color by Gurihiru ; [lettering by John Green]
Giants beware! by written by Jorge Aguirre ; art by Rafael Rosado ; story by Rafael Rosado & Jorge Aguirre ; colors by John Novak, Matthew Schenk
June 18, 2013 | hathawaym
Why do we love zombies? They're smelly, they're slow (most of the time), and they bite. But...zombie stories also celebrate our humanity. These stories aren't about the end of the world, they're about survival in the face of devastating tragedy.
Feed by Mira Grant
The walking dead: rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga
Zombies vs. unicorns by Justine Larbalestier, Holly Black
Warm bodies: a novel by Isaac Marion
Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
June 17, 2013 | SuzyQ
Check out some of these tunes that mention Michigan or its cities: