Learn more about Secondhand Prose and the Friends of the Library.
Bag SaleJanuary 27, 28 and 30
Fairy tales are the source of so much pleasure, wonder, and imaginative play for children, and the patterns contained here are fanciful without sacrificing wearability. From the Snow Queen to Robin Hood to magic carpets, these projects explore classic fairy tale characters that are staples of playing dress-up. The garments are for the most part versatile enough for everyday wear as well, which will delight everyone who sees them.
Here are a few mysteries set at the new year:
The queene's Christmas by Karen Harper
Full cry by Rita Mae Brown
New Year's Eve murder : a Lucy Stone mystery by Leslie Meier
Cat on a hyacinth hunt by Carole Nelson Douglas
Our thanks to the Canton community for helping us reach this milestone. We look forward to serving you in 2010.
Registration is now open, use your own library card or your grandchild's. See you there!
SANTA CAME!!!! And you know what? He brought me a little buddy! Which is, in fact, what his name is! Little Buddy, or LB for short. I've been having so much fun with my new friend! Now I have someone that I can play games with when the library is closed! The best part is that LB is travel-sized. That means that he can sneak into people's suitcases and go on vacation with them. I never get to go anywhere, so I am excited to see where LB ends up going!
I hope you and yours had a nice holiday too. Did you get anything? What did you do? Can't wait to hear all about it! Until next time!
P.S. Here's a picture of LB! Better get used to him, because you might be seeing him a lot!
- The Covenant by Naomi Ragen
- White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- On Beauty by Zadie Smith
- Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk, Adventure and the Man Who Dared To See by Robert Kurson
- Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Mind of an Extraordinary Autistic Savant by Daniel Tammet
I'm sooo excited that tomorrow is Christmas Eve! I bet you all are too! Did you know that Santa Claus visits the library? Yup! He does! It's because I'm such a nice bear. As you can tell from the picture--he's been coming for a long time. It's a picture of me waiting for Santa way back before the Children's Library was expanded! The hard part is the waiting, and it will be extra hard tomorrow because the library will be closed--so I won't have all of you to keep me busy until he gets here!
When Santa comes to the library, he lands on the roof of the library and slides down into our fireplace, just like he does at your house! I made sure Miss Kristen bought extra cookies so that we'd have some for Santa. Because I'm a bear, I don't have to be asleep when Santa comes, so we chat a little bit, and I make him some Coffee to help him warm up and wake up! If you were flying all day delivering presents--you'd need coffee too! And sometimes I let him check out a book or two. Since he's Santa he doesn't have to pay overdue fines if he doesn't return them until next Christmas.
I can't wait to see what Santa brings this year. I wrote a letter asking for a friend, because I get lonely at the library by myself. Plus, there aren't enough bears here in Canton. What did you ask Santa to bring you? I'd love to know--reply to my blog! Merry Christmas!
- Become a member (before December 31 for a Michigan tax credit)
- Donate used books to Secondhand Prose [call (734) 397-0999 x1031 for details]
- Buy books for the booklovers on your list (great bargains on great books)
- Volunteer for the book crew (email email@example.com)
- Monday, December 21, 11:00AM-2:00PM: All Ages Videogaming (Mariokart, Wii Sport and more)
- Tuesday, December 22, 10:00AM-Noon: Create-a-Craft
- Tuesday, December 22, 2:00-4:00PM: Board Game Fun (YuGiOh, LEGOS, Chess and more)
- Wednesday, December 23, 1:00-1:45PM: Fun with Ronald McDonald (Visit the Happy Meal Exhibit and see Ronald's fun magic show!)
Dreaming of a warm climate and place to visit? You can soak up the sunshine in Maui, Oahu & the big Island in Hawaii. The Waikiki beach is a great beach to surf or just enjoy the white sand shores. The fresh, floral air energizes you. The warm, tranquil waters refresh you.