- The Covenant by Naomi Ragen
- White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- On Beauty by Zadie Smith
- Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk, Adventure and the Man Who Dared To See by Robert Kurson
- Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Mind of an Extraordinary Autistic Savant by Daniel Tammet
I'm sooo excited that tomorrow is Christmas Eve! I bet you all are too! Did you know that Santa Claus visits the library? Yup! He does! It's because I'm such a nice bear. As you can tell from the picture--he's been coming for a long time. It's a picture of me waiting for Santa way back before the Children's Library was expanded! The hard part is the waiting, and it will be extra hard tomorrow because the library will be closed--so I won't have all of you to keep me busy until he gets here!
When Santa comes to the library, he lands on the roof of the library and slides down into our fireplace, just like he does at your house! I made sure Miss Kristen bought extra cookies so that we'd have some for Santa. Because I'm a bear, I don't have to be asleep when Santa comes, so we chat a little bit, and I make him some Coffee to help him warm up and wake up! If you were flying all day delivering presents--you'd need coffee too! And sometimes I let him check out a book or two. Since he's Santa he doesn't have to pay overdue fines if he doesn't return them until next Christmas.
I can't wait to see what Santa brings this year. I wrote a letter asking for a friend, because I get lonely at the library by myself. Plus, there aren't enough bears here in Canton. What did you ask Santa to bring you? I'd love to know--reply to my blog! Merry Christmas!
- Become a member (before December 31 for a Michigan tax credit)
- Donate used books to Secondhand Prose [call (734) 397-0999 x1031 for details]
- Buy books for the booklovers on your list (great bargains on great books)
- Volunteer for the book crew (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Monday, December 21, 11:00AM-2:00PM: All Ages Videogaming (Mariokart, Wii Sport and more)
- Tuesday, December 22, 10:00AM-Noon: Create-a-Craft
- Tuesday, December 22, 2:00-4:00PM: Board Game Fun (YuGiOh, LEGOS, Chess and more)
- Wednesday, December 23, 1:00-1:45PM: Fun with Ronald McDonald (Visit the Happy Meal Exhibit and see Ronald's fun magic show!)
Dreaming of a warm climate and place to visit? You can soak up the sunshine in Maui, Oahu & the big Island in Hawaii. The Waikiki beach is a great beach to surf or just enjoy the white sand shores. The fresh, floral air energizes you. The warm, tranquil waters refresh you.
I haven't made a quilt yet myself but have always admired the technique and art of those made by others. As the weather turns colder I find myself ready to tackle a project that will, in the making, drape fabrics over my lap and keep my hands occupied while watching movies and enjoying the company of my family.
If you are already tired of Christmas music, try some Blues.
We recently received a new Big Bill Morganfield cd. It has as very traditional blues sound. It includes several slow blues tracks, which were just the thing to slow down the Christmas rush.
This book of patterns by the founder of Lorna's Laces (drool-worthy fibers available locally at the Old Village Yarn Shoppe) includes patterns for socks, mittens, sweaters, stuffies, and even how to make your own decorative knitting needles. Interspersed with the patterns are brief stories explaining how Miser came up with the pattern and how it connects to her life.
Because I Love Her: 34 Writers Reflect on the Mother-Daughter Bond edited by Andrea N. Richesin
Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free by Charles P. Fierce
The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride by Daniel James Brown
Losing Mum and Pup: a Memoir by Christopher Buckley