This program is sponsored by the Target Early Childhood Reading Grant and the Friends of the Canton Public Library.
Gus, the pilgrim turkey by Teresa Bateman ; illustrated by Ellen Joy Sasaki
The Berenstain Bears' Thanksgiving by Stan & Jan Berenstain
An old-fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott ; illustrated by James Bernardin
Program Date: Saturday, November 6 at 10:00AM-10:30AM
Here's the question: On what date was the stars and stripes pattern adopted as the official flag and by whom?
Simply sublime gifts : high-style, low-sew projects to make in a snap by Jodi Kahn ; photography by Scott Jones ; illustrations by Kate Francis — We all love the idea of a handmade gift, but often it's difficult to make the time to create something from scratch. No worries! Here you'll find nearly 30 gifts that you can make from materials as easily at hand as dishtowels, shammy cloths, and empty cardboard containers like cereal boxes. Some of the patterns are even available online.
If you'd like a quick walk-through of registering for programs, just watch the YouTube video above.
- Have a Canton Public Library card
- Click the link to the Program Calendar
- Find the date of the program you wish to attend. Often there are more programs than display by default — click "All" at the bottom of the day to see a full list
- When you have found the program you're interested in, hover over the icon graphic to see how many slots are available. If there are open seats, click the icon to proceed
- Clicking the icon will take you to a login screen if you are not already logged in. Enter your name and library card barcode, then press the submit button to log in
- Review the program information on the registration page. If all the information is correct, click 'Submit' to register
- If all has worked properly, you should reach a confirmation page with no on-screen warnings. If you do not reach a confirmation page or are shown an on-screen warning, please contact the library
- If you need to register more than one person (more than one library card), you must log out and re-do the process using the other card
Common ProblemsIf you get an on-screen warning, there could be several things blocking you from registering:
- You may be the wrong age for the program. Please check the age requirements and make sure that the library card you are using belongs to the appropriate child
- You may have already registered for another section of the program. Please check My Account to see if your card is already registered
- Your card may not be updated. Please visit the checkout desk, or call 734-397-0999 (option #3)
Waiting ListsWe do not maintain waiting lists for programs. However, extraordinarily popular programs tend to have sessions added as necessary. Also, there are some online cancelations, so diligence checking the page can often get you a spot.
Stephen Forrest will talk about his experiences with his "off-the-grid" house in Vermont. Forrest is Vice President of Research at the University of Michigan as well as a Professor of Engineering, Computer Science, and Physics.
Dr. Forrest will speak at the Hatcher Library Gallery at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor on Tuesday, October 26, from 5:30-7:00PM.
Did you know over a million Americans live with Aphasia every day and it can occur in people of any age? What's Aphasia? It is a language disorder usually caused by a stroke, head injury, tumor, or neurological disease. Aphasia affects talking, understanding, reading and writing. A good book to read is Stroke Recovery Book by Kip Burkman. Also, speaking first hand from a loved one who had a stroke there is a speech-language program at the University of Michigan Aphasia Program (UMAP). They are committed to providing intensive state-of-the-art therapy
Drop by the Canton Farmer's Market this Sunday, October 17th, for a special Halloween storytime put on by the Canton Public Library. Dress up in costume, enjoy a Halloween story, and make a Halloween craft. Two sessions, 11:00AM and 1:00PM
The Farmer's Market is located at Preservation Park (at the Bartlett-Travis House), 500 N. Ridge Road, Canton. See you there!
- Kits may be checked out for eight weeks, but can't be renewed
Monday, October 25 at 10:00-10:45AM
Wednesday, October 27 at 7:00-7:45PM