- You must be in 3rd through 12th grade
- If you're under 12, your parent must remain in the library
- You must bring the assignment and any other needed materials
Days and Times
- Monday from 6:00-8:00 PM by the East Wing
- Tuesday from 6:00-8:00 PM by the East Wing
- Thursday from 6:00-8:00 PM by the East Wing
There will be no tutoring during school closures, library closures, and snow days.
The beautiful mystery by Louise Penny
Best First Novel
The expats: a novel by Chris Pavone
Home: a memoir of my early years by Julie Andrews — October 1
Keeping faith: memoirs of a president by Jimmy Carter — October 1
The life of Graham Greene by Norman Sherry — October 2
Buster Keaton: cut to the chase by Marion Meade — October 4
Chester Alan Arthur by Zachary Karabell — October 5
Rocket man: Robert H. Goddard and the birth of the space age by David A. Clary — October 5
This little light of mine: the life of Fannie Lou Hamer by Kay Mills — October 6
Thanks to a generous gift from the Lions Club of Canton, the library now has a collection of Optelec handheld and stand magnifiers available in a variety of magnifications for checkout to Canton and Plymouth patrons. Borrow a magnifier and take it home for a "test drive" to see if it is right for you! We are delighted to offer this new service and hope you will help us spread the word to any local friends or relatives in need of low-vision reading aids.
In addition to these new magnifiers, the library also has an Optelec Viewer available for use in the library, and a large selection of large print and audio books available. For instructions on how to use the Optelec Viewer, check out this video.
1) As a result of patron feedback and suggestions, our 2012-2015 Strategic Plan includes a comprehensive look at how library spaces are used, how that usage has changed over time, and what changes you'd like to see to improve our interactions with you. In addition to your feedback and suggestions, we also considered the entire building; the original library building is now 25 years old, and the library additions are now 12 years old. Much of our equipment and fixtures date back to the original construction and are due (some overdue) for replacement. In 2013, we were able, through donations and use of Fund Balance, to update and renovate some library spaces--new study rooms were added in the east wing of the library, and renovations were done in our Community Room and Quiet Study Room, as well as in the staff kitchen. These updates and replacements will continue in 2014 with updates to the main area of the library, with our Patron Service Improvement Project (PSI Project).
From 7:00-7:45 PM Annie's ghosts: a journey into a family secret by Steve Luxenberg is the 2013-14 Great Michigan Read. It's part memoir, part detective story, and part history. As the author tries to understand his mom's reasons for hiding her sister's existence, he takes readers on a journey into his mother's world of the 1930s and '40s, where he explores how a poor, immigrant family manages life with a child who has special needs.
From 8:00-8:45 PM Her fearful symmetry: a novel by Audrey Niffenegger. Twin sisters learn their English aunt has left them her flat in London. The cemetery which borders the flat serves as an inspiring setting as the twins become entwined in the lives of their neighbors, both living and deceased.
Canton Seniors Book Group will meet on Thursday, October 24 from 2:00-3:00PM in Canton Public Library's Group Study Room A. We will be discussing Say Nice Things About Detroit by Scott Lassiter. Copies of the book are distributed at the meeting or request a copy at the Adult Help Desk. No registration required.
Say Nice Things About Detroit by Scott Lasser. After his divorce and the death of his son David Halpert escapes to his hometown Detroit, and becomes involved in a murder investigation when he learns about the shooting of his high school girlfriend Natalie and her black half-brother, Dirk, and becomes romantically involved with Natalie's sister.
[LEGO House by Mark Nicolson is licensed under CC BY 2.0]