Meeting Minutes -- May 29, 2008
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Gillig, at 7:30 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young, C. Van Auken
Absent: N. Williams
Also Present: E. Davis, S. Rzetelny
CALL TO AUDIENCE
No Comments. (A. Heidemann, C. McLaughlin)
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved as submitted.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes of the April 17th Meeting were approved as submitted.
- Saline Public Library is having a grand reopening after their renovation and expansion. All are invited to attend.
- Appreciation letter from patron Betty Mulder to Joyce Simowski, Adult Librarian thanking her for the Books by Mail program!
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Eva met with Allen Crum our new Trane Existing Building Solutions Representative. He believes we may be eligible for a rebate on the recently installed 90-ton unit and brought paperwork for signatures.
- The traveling Bus-eum exhibit, Behind Barbed Wire featuring the lives of American POWs in Nazi Germany was a huge success. Eva acknowledged and thanked Anna Slaughter for her coordination of the event and Laurie Golden for her work with all the publicity. Among the visitors were five classes from Pioneer Middle school and local POW's. Canton Public Library's Friends and the Canton Veteran's Memorial Association sponsored the event.
- Eva discussed the latest 2008 SEV projections from the township. The State Equalized Values for property are estimated to realize a reduction of about $100 million in 2009 (approximately 2%), which translates to approximately $200,000 less in 2009 property tax revenue for the library. Eva will stay in contact with the treasurer's office for updates.
- The Friends board opted not to proceed with the On-Line Bookstore. When sales tax issues were considered it was not felt the revenue could offset the extra work required.
- Some MetroNet libraries including Canton continue to provide dial up internet service. Many others have discontinued this service. Leo Papa will continue to monitor the cost benefit of continuing this service while preparing the 2009 budget. The library may opt to discontinue this service.
- Eva requested clarification and guidance from the Board regarding the current salary adjustment policy Section 4c(2)(B) "the amount in this pool cannot increase salary costs at a rate which exceeds the projected percentage increase in the SEV." It was suggested that the salary budget be prepared using the inflation rate, which would then be reviewed during the 2009 budget presentation.
- Jungle Java Express Contract Renewal Update - A new contract was signed and is now in effect. Eric Hess will attend the June board meeting to present Jungle Java's annual report.
- Roof Replacement Update - The bulk of the rocks were vacuumed from the roof without incident. Mike Green, site supervisor from PSI, has been on site daily. The walkway to be installed by JD Candler was thinner (75ml) than what was specified and JD Candler was notified that they needed to get the specified 100ml walkway material. According to plans 2 x 6 nailers were also supposed to be present but were not. JD Candler had to purchase 200 linear feet of wood - greater than the allowance of 100 - however planned replacement of insulation and rusted steel decking appears to be less than expected and should offset this cost. Change orders will be issued if necessary. Laser temperature readings show a temperature of the new white roof to be 90 F whereas the old black portion of the roof read 135 F. This temperature difference should result in an energy cost savings.
- Discussion of 2009 Board Goals - The following goals were presented:
Hire Part Time Accountant (CPA)
Develop New 5-year Strategic Plan
Perform Salary Study
Develop Marketing Plan for Endowment Fund
Community Room Renovation
Enlarging Café Work Area
Second Hand Prose Addition
Limited Time Experiment with Later Weekend Hours (open until 9:00 PM) Explore Offsite Services
Policy Revision for Patron Suspension
Develop Director's Salary Review Formula
Internet Lab Policy Revisions (currently presented by Director and on the table for review)
Hire Part Time Accountant (CPA)
Develop Plan for 5-year Revenue Projection Goal to Reduce Library Millage Rate
The goals will be reviewed to determine value and practicality to the library. Trustee Young asked that they be ranked by cost.
- Bond Repayment - Eva provided a report on prepayment of refinanced 2005 series bonds, which ultimately discourages early bond prepayment due to the bond's structure and the lack of significant interest savings over the loss of operational funds required to pay the early redemption.
- Policy Revision Proposals
Computing Resources Policy Proposal - Discussion of Michigan Public Act 212, which allows for a minor accompanied by parent or guardian to use the unfiltered internet lab as long as the adult remains in close proximity and supervises the minor. The current policy will be amended to reflect this Act along with added wireless and blog issues.
Materials Selection Policy - Complaint Process Proposal - A revision of the complaint procedure was provided adding a timeline and allowing for committee review with administration retaining decision-making. The Board's role in the complaint process appeal; specifically what level of review does the board wish to perform, was discussed. The board prefers to review facts presented from administration and move forward rather than start the process over.
Trustee Fausone requested the policy proposals be reworked to include consistent appeals process and timeline for all policies.
Capitalization and Fixed Asset Policy Proposal - Due to a need for consistent capitalization procedures the new policy was presented. The policy was reviewed and approved by Plante & Moran auditor Alicia Davis.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Dr. James Gillig - Chairman