Meeting Minutes -- April 17, 2008
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Gillig, at 7:28 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young, C. Van Auken , N. Williams
Also Present: E. Davis, S. Rzetelny, Frank Audia, Wendy Trumbull - Plante & Moran
CALL TO AUDIENCE
No Comments. (R. Havenstein-Coughlin, A. Heidemann, C. McLaughlin)
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved with additions.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes of the March 13th General Meeting were approved as submitted.
Minutes of the April 1st Special Meeting / Roofing Bid Award were approved with correction.
2007 AUDIT PRESENTATION
- The library received an unqualified opinion and is in sound financial position. Discussion was held regarding the new reporting requirements and two items which, due to the new more stringent auditing standards, must be noted to the board: one significant deficiency regarding furniture in the fixed asset system and one material weakness regarding a journal entry. Plante & Moran was also required to perform a more thorough investigation of the internal controls, which were found to be sound.
- HVAC Replacement, Library Schedule - The board was presented with maps detailing the recommended areas of the library that would need to be closed and completely vacant of patrons and staff during the HVAC unit replacement scheduled for April 8th.
J. Fausone moved and C. Van Auken supported a motion to accept the audit report as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 4/08-17-1
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- The steel and fiberglass tree from NatureMaker, replacing the tent in the children's area, has been installed and is a beautiful addition.
- The HVAC replacement has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 22nd weather permitting.
- A new door counter has been installed and the report will be noted monthly with the circulation statistics. We are currently averaging approximately 1800 patrons per day!
- The roofing contract was completed by PSI and sent to J.D. Candler. When it's signed and returned progress will move forward.
- The Friends tabled a vote for the on-line bookstore contract until their next meeting.
- Included in the packet was a Memorandum from MLA's Public Policy Committee. As a summary the lobbyists are attempting to secure the $2 million in state aid to libraries remaining for the 2008-09 budget year, and to restore the remaining $2 million from the 2007-08 fiscal year.
- Chairman Gillig queried the trustees about their intentions to run for the board in the November 08 election.
- Board Orientation - Due to possible trustee changes in November, Chairman Gillig recommends clarifying the role of the board. A previously written board orientation packet will be reviewed, updated and distributed to existing and new trustees. The Board Bylaws and Rules of Governance which were based on John Carver's book Boards That Make a Difference was distributed to existing trustees and will be given to new trustees to assist them in understanding their role on the board.
- Bond Repayment - A memo to the board dated 4/12/2001 detailing the bond repayment schedule was distributed and the chairman requested trustees review the memo. Eva was asked to contact the Township building authority for information regarding bond repayment for future discussion.
- 2009 Goals - In order to begin planning the 2009 Budget, trustees were asked to bring forth future project and services ideas to the next meeting for discussion.
- First Quarter Budget Amendment - Review of the 1st quarter budget amendments was held and the Trustee Fausone noted a desire to see a reduction in expenses to offset reduced income rather than a decrease in the reserve. Eva reported that Grafaktri has not yet invoiced the library for the newest donor plaque, due to repairs that have yet to be made, and the expense will appear on the financial report when the invoice is finally received.
N. Williams moved and J. Fausone supported a motion to approve the First Quarter Budget Amendment as presented.
The motion passed unanimously 4/08-17-2
- Jungle Java Contract Renewal - The director reports the Jungle Java contract is due for renewal May 14th and requests guidance from the board regarding terms. Trustee Fausone proposed drafting an amendment to the current agreement offering a one-year renewal at the same base rent with an option to waive the rent and/or royalty in the future as café sales trends dictate.
J. Fausone moved and C. Young supported a motion to extend the current Concession Agreement (as written) with Jungle Java for one year in an agreement addendum.
The motion passed unanimously 4/08-17-3
J. Fausone moved and C. Van Auken supported a motion to waive the Jungle Java rent and royalty payments for three (3) months with reevaluation after the three-month waiver period.
The motion passed unanimously 4/08-17-4
CALL TO AUDIENCE
Meeting was adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
Nancy Williams - Secretary-Treasurer