Meeting Minutes -- January 17, 2008
The meeting was called to order by the Chairman, James Gillig, at 7:30 p.m.
Present: J. Fausone, J. Gillig, G. Snow, C. Young, N. Williams, C. Van Auken
Also Present: E. Davis, S. Rzetelny, J. Laffey, P. Majkowski, M. Breitner
CALL TO AUDIENCE
No Comments. (R. Havenstein-Coughlin, L. Papa, R. VanHoeck)
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
The agenda was approved with additions.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Minutes of the December 13th meeting were approved as submitted.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE INDUSTRIES PRESENTATION -PAUL MAJKOWSKI AND MARK BREITNER
- Paul Majkowski reviewed the PSI proposals for roof replacement. He referenced the moisture survey noting the lack of moisture in the insulation allowing for its salvage and reuse. Various roofing options were reviewed but PSI recommends a single ply roof for ease of maintenance. The roofing project is expected to last approximately twenty days.
- The project will move forward with the development of plans and specifications to be provided to bidders. The board will also need to choose the type of roof and schedule around the HVAC replacement.
- Trane HVAC - Representatives from the crane company surveyed the library site. Due to safety concerns the building must be vacant for approximately 4-5 hours when setting the new units on the roof. Jim Laffey would like to schedule the HVAC installation in April, prior to air conditioning season with the roofing to follow in May.
- The board requested investigating the scrap value of the old HVAC units.
Cecil Young moved and Jim Fausone supported a motion to approve the PSI proposal - Parts I, II and III with full time job supervision.
The motion passed unanimously 1/08-17-1
Note from Bonnie Berg thanking the library for hosting a collection box for the Veteran's Hospital.
REPORT OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
- Eva showed the color and design of the canvas bags the library will be offering for patron purchase as part of our green initiative. Plastic library bags will no longer be purchased.
- A pilot program for homebound delivery service has been initiated by Joyce Simowski This new program will make library materials available to the homebound by mail. The material will be sent in a mailing bag with prepaid postage and will begin with residents in senior centers such as Waltonwood. In the past materials were sent to the senior centers as a group with a lot of the materials not being returned. The material will now be sent to individuals within the center and will expand to homeowners in Canton. The program is expected to launch in April.
- Eva spoke with Eric Hess from Jungle Java and will meet with him the week of January 21st. He mentioned that they are financially unable to support two staff members in the café during all but the busiest hours of the day. The staff has reported that service in the café has declined and they seem to run out of items more frequently.
- Job descriptions were provided for the proposed new full time position of Digital Resources Developer. Amended job descriptions for Systems Administrator, Internet Tech. Specialist - Networking and Internet Technology Specialist - Web Services were also provided. Eva Davis has reviewed the proposal and agrees an additional full time position is warranted.
Jim Fausone moved and Cecil Young supported a motion to adopt the recommendation of the director to add an additional full time position in the Technology Department of Digital Resources Developer.
The motion passed unanimously 1/08-17-2
On-Line Bookstore update - Eva provided a revised contract, which Jim Fausone will review.
- 2008 Election - Chairman Gillig asked that the Trustees give consideration to whether they will run in the November 2008 election and advise him of their intentions soon.
- 2007 Audit - Representatives from Plante Moran will need to meet with the chairman before the audit begins on February 26th.
- 2008 Board Party - Jim Gillig opened discussion concerning the board providing the food for the annual holiday party versus having the Board and Department Heads bring a dish as is currently done. It was determined the board will provide the food in the future.
CALL TO AUDIENCE
Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 p.m.
Nancy Williams - Secretary-Treasurer